1. Choose a closed functional cabinet-style that can hide your cat's litter box in plain sight. Your guests will never guess that these cabinets contain your animal's "dirty little secret."
2. Invest in good quality cat litter boxes that offer sealed joints and finishes. While the cost may seem higher than you would hope, the seals keep odors from permeating the wood and keeps the joints from separating.
3. Make sure there are hooks and storage in the unit for supplies. It's possible to have hooks to hang scoops and odor control products such as charcoal or baking soda bags and built-in storage for bags so that cleaning is more convenient.
4. Make sure the pan fits snugly in the cabinet. While it may seem like a good idea to have room inside the cabinet around the pan, this leads to litter being kicked out of the pan onto the floor of your cabinet. Units that have a patented, moisture-proof, wooden ledge that extends over the litter pan and keeps excess scratched litter in the pan. Small amounts of litter left on the ledge can be swept back into the pan. The ledge can be washed if accidents occur. A horizontal guard on the front portion of the ledge keeps litter from spilling or falling out the door.
5. Two entrances give your pet a sense of comfort and security because they realized there are two escape routes. These two openings also create a fresh air flow that keeps the cabinet from stinking.
Quality cabinets should offer a decorative element to your home, make your cat more comfortable and help your cleanup and maintenance easier. The initial cost is a consideration, but the pay off will last for the lifetime of your pet.
Barbara Cartun is owner and designer of Feline Furniture ( http://hidytidy.com ). From the original conception in 1998 in a small studio apartment in San Francisco to obtaining a patent and creating a website in 2000, this experience has been a rewarding adventure. Much thought and research went into the design and subsequent production of the Hidy-Tidy.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5101429